I visited with a client this morning and felt a surge of pride when she showed up in a perfectly fabulous monochrome outfit. She masterfully mixed and matched shades of beige which highlighted her autumn coloring. Not everyone is comfortable creating this chic head to toe look, so here are a few pointers to get you started.
First, have fun with it and choose a favorite bold hue. There are such an array of great spring colors out there at the moment! Then, make it interesting by mixing fabrics and textures.
Neutrals are always a good choice since they are easy to do head to toe. A great spring look would be mixing a crisp white with an ivory. Just make sure the color that suits you best (one of your colors) is the one near your face.
Finally, make the outfit pop by strategically adding one accessory in a complimentary color to your monochrome outfit. You will be enviably chic!
We’ve all heard the saying “You get what you pay for” and we believe that definitely applies to your clothing. Make no assumptions; there are exceptions to the rule, but more times than not this saying is true. Have you ever really thought about the quality vs. quantity of your clothing? Many of you haven’t and it’s time to take notice.
This isn’t to say that you should spend outside your budget for clothing, but you should always buy the best quality you can afford. Take note of quality details when shopping for clothing. Look at the construction of the garment; are seams sewn securely and hems stitched tight? There is nothing worse than stepping on a hem that has come undone while you’re wearing the pants. Or pulling the stray thread on a top and the seam comes apart. Both have happened to us which makes us more aware of what to look for. Other general construction items to pay attention to are:
- buttons- make sure they are secure
- seaming-make sure seams lay flat especially on blazers, jackets and fitted button down
- blouses, lining-most blazers should be lined
Another major item to pay attention to is fabric and fabric care. Will you really dry-clean that garment if you purchase it? If not, don’t buy it, it’s that simple! You need to care for the garment like the care label reads. This is especially important with a few materials (modal comes to mind) if it is not washed correctly it will look worn-out after one washing. Notice the fabric type, if the sweater sheds all over you in the dressing room it will do the same in your closet, car, etc. Use fabric type and content to determine shrinkage and stretching too.
(c) 2014, Dulcet Style LLC
I enjoy traveling with my family, it’s always a good time, but the bad part is the packing rests solely on my shoulders! This is not fun, especially when I have to pack for myself, husband (sometimes) and kids. One very handy tip I have discovered is how to pack your clothes in a wrinkle free way. Don’t fold them, which will crease and then wrinkle your clothes. You need to roll your items. Simply roll it from end to end so it is in a long tube shape, and then place in your bag. Remember to strap your clothes inside your bag to keep items in place. But if clothes are jostled a bit, the roll will protect it from any wrinkling. Genius right?
A loose and flowy button up is a fun option to have in your wardrobe, but how do you wear it so it compliments your figure? There a some key ways to ensure your look is spot-on when sporting a silky button front blouse:
- The perfect silky blouse is loose, not at all tight, so make sure that when you purchase one of these blouses it does not pull or hug you too tight.
- For a more professional look, tuck it in and pull it out a little bit so you have a subtle billow at the bottom. Choose a pencil skirt, ankle pants or straight leg trousers to pair with it. Since it is loose on top you want your bottoms to be tailored, not loose. Keeping the bottoms tighter will be prevent a voluminous look that is unflattering.
- For a casual vibe, do not tuck and add a shell or tank top underneath. Leave the top half of the shirts buttons open, showing the layer underneath. Wear with skinny jeans or straight leg jeans to keep the look flattering for your silhouette.
- Accessorize with layers of longer necklaces or a shorter necklace that fits under the collar. A structured bag will keep the look fresh!
The above Nexx Silk Blouse can be found at Nordstrom.
(c) 2014, Dulcet Style LLC